Thursday, February 23, 2012

Nike + Running Monitor

For those who are like me and like to track their progress, you’re going to love this!



I started running about two and a half years ago. I’m a goal setter and I like to feel accomplished. I was told about the Nike + Running Monitor by a friend. It was originally advertised to be used with Nike + compatible running shoes. Just put the sensor in the bottom of the shoe and it would track your progress when used in conjunction with an iPod. I can’t wear Nike shoes as my feet are too wide. I did some research and found that there are several varieties of pouches and lace holders that you can use to hold the sensor in place on any sneaker of your choosing.




I first started with the LaceLid pictured above. It worked really well, my only issue was that it was a pain to change it from shoe to shoe. You had to essentially completely untie your shoes in order to take it off one shoe to put it on another. That may not be an issue for some people, but it annoyed me. I then decided to get the Marware case. I love it.



Once you’ve completed your run, just sync your iPod to iTunes and it will upload your run data to the Nike Plus website. Here is an example of what the website looks like when you’ve uploaded a run.



You can also change it so that you can see your runs daily, weekly, monthly or yearly.



Nike + has also created an iPhone App called Nike + GPS, which allows you do track your runs through the GPS without the use of the sensor. This is more convenient for some. Personally, I find running with the iPhone to be uncomfortable. I love the small size of the shuffle, it fits perfectly in the mini pocket on my running shirts but there are occasions when I will use my iPhone armband to allow me to run using the GPS app.



If you have friends who are runners, you can either use the App or the website to create challenges to compete against each other. This is very effective when you’re trying to prepare for an upcoming race.

You also have the option of posting your runs to Facebook or Twitter from either the App or the website. That’s the most motivational part for me. I feel like it keeps me honest and holds me accountable. I prefer to run alone, but having everyone and their mother know that you skipped your morning run is a good motivator :)

This is the best $20 running accessory I’ve ever bought. I recommend it to everyone who is looking to get into running and wants to find ways to stay motivated. Track your progress, challenge your friends, and brag about your accomplishments!

No comments:

Post a Comment